Wednesday 11 July 2007

Crimes Against Craft

This is a little gem I picked up at Savers, as you can see by the stickers plastered all over it which I couldn't remove without damaging the magazine. Idiots. Anyway it is dated 1975, I haven't got around to reading it yet, but Husband enjoyed it immensely. I think the knitted toy on the front is supposed to be a panda only it looks more like a Womble of Wimbledon with an identity crisis to me. (Can you imagine calling a magazine 'Calling All Housewives'? It's too funny.)

There's just something about crocheted toys isn't there? Aren't you just dying to make one of these? Well I've saved you the trouble, here's mine:

Feel free to laugh, I don't mind. Not only does he look kind of sad and disproportionate, he is kind of prickly too, just want you want in a teddy bear.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

That issue of 'Calling all housewives' is just too hilarious!

Articles such as 'why motherhood doesn't pay'and 'how NOT to poison your family' suggest an intriguing sub-text to being a 1975-style SAHM!

11 July 2007 at 11:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one rather odd-ly named magazine, with one very odd so-called panda on the front.

11 July 2007 at 13:57  
Blogger crafty said...

Yes, I'll be sure to read about how NOT to poison my family.

11 July 2007 at 14:54  
Blogger meggie said...

I will just say one thing. Munted.

12 July 2007 at 22:04  
Blogger Aunty Evil said...

Yes, I have a question...

"Recipes to tempt the palate 'BETWEEN SEASONS'"

What the...??

Between WHAT seasons, I eat all year round!?

12 July 2007 at 23:00  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Aunty Evil has a good point (but doesn't she usually?): when is it ever not the eating season?

I like your teddy bear. He has character.

13 July 2007 at 11:34  
Blogger *BB* said...

Oh damn, you scored big time! The name alone makes me green with envy but the articles within...priceless. This beats anything I have managed to find so far.
I like your teddy bears stripes :)

13 July 2007 at 13:45  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Calling all Housewives?!?!

Baa-baa baa-baa ....

I kinda like the Teddy with Attitude ...

Probably says a lot about my lack of crafty skills ...

13 July 2007 at 19:19  
Blogger Tanya said...

That is the coolest magazine I have ever seen. Well, cool in a pathetic, sexist, WTF! kind of way!

14 July 2007 at 11:04  
Blogger crafty said...

I know, I just love a good op shop find.
The Teddy I agree has character, but he failed the ultimate test, the kids have never played with him, too prickly, which above all makes him a crime.

15 July 2007 at 10:27  
Blogger Stomper Girl said...

Hello, you're back!

Can't you wash the prickly bear in Softly or something? He looks so nice. But my heart goes to the demented bankrobber womble/lemon-suckin' panda on the front cover.

15 July 2007 at 16:06  
Blogger Suse said...

I kind of like that wonky teddy you made. Pity about the prickly thang though.

Oh and thanks. I've got the wombles song in my head now. It usually lasts several weeks.

17 July 2007 at 19:02  
Blogger C. hailey R said...

They all looked lovely to me!

19 July 2007 at 13:10  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home