Friday 15 June 2007

You never Forget Your First

Got my first hank off the other day.
I felt an overwhelmingly ridiculous sense of accomplishment when my first hank came off, like I just landed on the moon or something. I have a theory about this, and it is opposite to moon landings. You see spinning fibre into yarn is an ancient craft, been around as long as people have.
So it is getting back to the very beginning, connecting with our origins, perhaps I have done this before? Even if you don't believe in past lives in the hippy sense if you know what I mean, every atom in my body has been around long before I have, so you know parts of me could have been who knows where and part of who knows what or who knows who.

Enough with the workings of my mind. This particular hank (trying to think how I can get another 'hank off' into the conversation) was made from dirty greasy wool, straight off the sheep's back, straight out of the paddock, which made it particularly satisfying when I got the hank off (ha, did it). I can't guarantee I will stay a puritan though, those lovely clean tops (wool that is washed and sometimes dyed and combed and ready to spin) are very, very appealing.

My green top is progressing well.
I highly recommend something along these lines in something about this gauge if you are going to attempt lace for the first time. I am actually really enjoying knitting this, just enough interest, not too complicated, just right. And pretty too. I think. Having a different colour each row helps with the identification of which is the slipped stitch to pass over as well. I think I might be ready to go back to that lacey butterfly vest from Rowan after this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Well done - you managed to hank off four times in course of that post!

I was inspired by your post about using knitting to deter unwanted conversations with the parents of gifted children to take up the lost art (well, lost to me for many years anyway...) and now I'm a little addicted. Two scarves and one beanie down, moving onto another beanie, then fingerless gloves. I see you have added links to free patterns on the sidebar...thanks, I'll be back to peruse those!

It may be some time until I tackle something as elaborate as lace though.

15 June 2007 at 10:06  
Blogger meggie said...

I can imagine your sense of achievement over your hank!
Well done you!!
And many thanks for the splendid cussing you did to support me in all my trials at present! They are greatly appreciated, & applauded!

15 June 2007 at 12:05  
Blogger Stomper Girl said...

Your hank looks so wholesome.

15 June 2007 at 19:21  
Blogger crafty said...

Fairlie, I am impressed two scarves AND a beanie? You may be interested to know I have found out what spinning at the gym is, I didn't have a clue.
Thanks Meggie, and anytime! :)
Stomper, I know.

16 June 2007 at 09:10  
Blogger Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Oh, I know...I'm a knitting over-achiever!! (cough, cough...)

Glad you're now familiar with the gym-lingo! I'm off to a Body Balance class this afternoon...

16 June 2007 at 14:28  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home