Monday 22 October 2007

Went to the Op-Shop Looking for Ramekins

Came home with all of this. ( The thongs, pink teddy bear and blocks are just our normal mess.) No ramekins. Actually the ramekins were my excuse to go to the op-shop, but I also had in mind dress-up shoes and some summer clothes for the girl monkeys. Middle Monkey chose those hideous blue and yellow beach shoes for dress-ups. I went with the intention of not buying anymore toys, but failed. Boy monkey requested a t-shirt with a jungle animal picture, and even though he doesn't need clothes he gets all indignant if the girls get something and he doesn't, anyway there were no such t-shirts, so I got him a jungle animal instead. Oops. I also went a bit nuts buying stuff to alter and/or for the fabric, thinking about clothes to make for my "make kids clothes from recycled materials" business idea. Anyway I ended up spending $126.00. I justify this by saying to myself, if I'd gone to K-mart, and only bought the kids clothes it would have cost the same, and anyway I was in a bad mood with Husband because he is going hiking for 10 days in February just after we move house, and he just bought a $600.00 kayak without asking. (made possible by a tax return, nevermind the stuffing spilling forth from our couches, or the new fridge seals we really need.)

Part of my haul was 6 magazines, they were the last thing to be checked out, and I erroneously counted them as five for the checkout chick, trying to be helpful. Another lady came over to re-count them, "There are six magazines here", pursed lips, hoity toity tone. Oh yeah, 'cause I counted them myself to rip them off $1.00. I just relieved them of a garbage bag's worth of stock for Fark's sake. They should have given me a bulk discount.

So here are all the lovely things I got for the business idea:

Some merino,



















Some cotton,


















Some silk,

















and some more cotton.










The thing is, when I surveyed my purchases, I realised they are all perfectly good, gorgeous clothes. A Kookai silk top, a Cue silk/cotton cardi, some other brand merino top and I'm planning to butcher these? Then I started thinking, ebay.

Then I thought, hang on, silk is no good for kids clothes, you can't throw it in the washing machine. Some of the wool might be machine washable. Bugger. Ebay?

And what about that skirt in the last picture, cute huh? Too short for me to wear, but I thought it could be turned into two skirts, or dresses for little people. Is there any legal reason why you can't do this, if you plan to sell it under your own label? I wonder.

What to do, what to do, someone please tell me what to do.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

I love the first cotton print. The embroidery is so pretty. I love when check out people get their hoity toity tones over something so small. It really makes you want to be very rude and sarcastic.

22 October 2007 at 13:49  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I hate to admit it in public, but I do toss silk in the washing machine. I toss it in on the delicate cycle with a cleaning agent meant for animal fibers.

I suppose it might not work out so well for kids' clothes, though - my kid has an affinity for wiping his face, paintbrushes and markers on his clothes.

22 October 2007 at 13:52  
Blogger crafty said...

Tanya, I do that too, but I can't write it on a care label, plus I think silk stains easily, which is another no no for kids.

22 October 2007 at 13:54  
Blogger LBA said...

$126.00 - farque !!

But the husband's kayak ... that would have shit me too.

My washing machine has no longer any cycles but 'rough and tumble', so there's no gentle fabrics at this house.

I made a small fortune on Ebay when I moved house. Do it.

22 October 2007 at 14:59  
Blogger Aunty Evil said...

Yep, I'm with h&b, I love ebay, I scour my home daily for stuff I no longer use, I scour my family's house for stuff they no longer use, I even suggest selling stuff they do still use.

Garage sales = ebay.
Junk shops - ebay.
Op shops = ebay.
Leave something at my house = ebay.

22 October 2007 at 16:44  
Blogger PJS said...

Nice haul! The silk looks gorgeous

22 October 2007 at 17:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work. The merino looks just divine all piled up like that.

Can you sell kayaks on ebay and keep your stuff?

22 October 2007 at 22:24  
Blogger crafty said...

Hmmm, I like Tracey's idea best.

But I will probably do what Aunty says.

22 October 2007 at 22:41  
Blogger crafty said...

Ooh, of course I meant to say, what H&B and Aunty said.

22 October 2007 at 22:49  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

You can sell husbands on ebay??????

22 October 2007 at 23:01  
Blogger Melinda said...

Well I'm not going to Aunty's house. She might sell me on ebay. And wouldn't I be depressed when no one met the minimum bid?

Tracey has a brilliant idea! What about the husband? Welll.... maybe no one would buy a used husband.

23 October 2007 at 01:33  
Blogger meggie said...

I would buy any used husband- but he would have to be 'non vandal, handy, carpenter savvy, & NEVER grumpy'
Hmmm Yes I knew it was impossible.
Go the Ebay way!

23 October 2007 at 08:56  
Blogger Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

All my kids clothes goes in the washing machine (and quite often the dryer) regardless of what the care instructions say, so it has to be hard-wearing all the way for me!

I think you can sell anything on ebay...kayaks, silks, husbands, kids. There's always someone out there bidding!

24 October 2007 at 11:54  
Blogger Stomper Girl said...

Fixit buys motorcycle parts the same way your husband buys kayaks.

I'm a fan of the delicate cycle on the washing machine myself but as you know all our clothes look extremely lived in, some would say raggy.

24 October 2007 at 15:06  
Blogger lazy cow said...

Just do what I do with every op shop haul: put it piles and feel guilty every time you look at it. But $126 in one go? That's impressive!

27 October 2007 at 17:55  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home