Wednesday 5 December 2007

Love Thy Neighbour


There have been whispers going around that we are moving house, and it is true. It is sad because we will miss our neighbours, not the ones with the barking dog, these lovely ones. We will be moving just after Christmas. I hate moving. There is some good news though, we are moving back to our little house which we own, which means no more renting. Have I mentioned that we are renting?The silly season is upon us and I have been trying to avoid buying too much plastic rubbish for gifts. To this end I have been to The Reverse Art Truck, and bought a whole garbage bag full of actual rubbish. It's great! This kind of place is my idea of a good time, the tip shop is pretty good too. I got the idea from a clever friend of mine, the idea is to make up art boxes as gifts, filled with sticky backed foam shapes, shiny paper, sticky paper and that sort of thing.

I have also stolen the same friend's idea (told you she's clever) for adult Christmas gifts, and am going to screen print some tea towels using the children's hands as templates. Inspiration? This screen printing on the cheap tutorial, and this quilt by the talented Tanya. I was going to do the whole family of hands as chooks, but they won't fit on the tea towel, so it'll just be three little chooks. (Chook=Chicken.)

Moving on, a recent birthday party prompted me to have a go at a little girls dress, testing the waters, to see if I think I would really like to sew all day for a little money.

The fabric was in the cupboard already, it was meant to be for some clothes for a rag doll, but I hadn't got around to it for five years, so....
Pattern? Just some rectangles.

We still haven't put up a Christmas tree.

18 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Yes you could sew all day for a little money.

Sad about leaving Stomper.

Sensible about the Christmas tree - our cats keep wanting to attack ours.

5 December 2007 at 14:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your new house very far from the current house?

I love the rectangle dress.

peppermintpatcher.wordpress.com/

5 December 2007 at 16:37  
Blogger crafty said...

BMM I can understand why a cat would want to attack a Christmas tree. Here, it's the Monkeys that are the worry, one littlest Monkey to be exact.

Tracey, yes our new house which is our old house is not so far away, we won't have to change schools, though we will have to ride or drive instead of walking.

5 December 2007 at 16:46  
Blogger Stomper Girl said...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Don't goooooooooooooooooo...

Isn't that dress pretty? Monkey #2 was wearing a dress at our place the other day and I almost didn't recognise her.

5 December 2007 at 17:03  
Blogger meggie said...

Just when you find the perfect neighbours...
Love the pretty little dress!
You are wise to forgo the tree, perhaps.
Those monkeys of yours are soo cute!

6 December 2007 at 06:37  
Blogger Jodie said...

Gorgeous dress, weleft behind some great neighbours last move - blahh !!! Good neighbours are really hard to come by.

6 December 2007 at 07:47  
Blogger Aunty Evil said...

We will miss you living next door to Stomper, BUT! You won't stop visiting us here will you?

I love that little dress!

6 December 2007 at 08:07  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Wouldn't mind moving myself ... have a neighbout who started to build an extension himself 4 YEARS ago and he's still not finsihed ....

It must be my karma .... have to learn to be more tolerant ....

No Christmas Tree up here yet either ....WAY too early ..

6 December 2007 at 10:28  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

That's a great photo with the gaggle of happy, laughing younguns. They're doing just what they ought to be doing, which is climbing fences, marking on walls and getting into other forms of minor mischief.

Reverse Art Truck sounds neat. We have something similar in the area, but it's for teachers only, which makes me jealous.

The screen printing tutorial is cool. Can't wait to see your hand chooks!

Your little girl's dress is adorable, of course. You have a real gift for design and choosing fabric combinations.

I hope that moving goes smoothly for you, or at least as smoothly as it can!

6 December 2007 at 16:14  
Blogger Melinda said...

You ARE crafty! LOVE that dress. Picturing my Abigail in it at the moment.

Those Monkeys and Climber look like they could get up to some serious mischief.

7 December 2007 at 01:43  
Blogger Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Isn't that always the way? Just when you get great neighbours you have to leave. If you had the neighbours from hell, you'd be stuck there forever.

Hmmm...great wall art. I'm hoping it's done in a washable medium???

Love the dress! Go on...sew all day for a living.

7 December 2007 at 10:53  
Blogger crafty said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments about the dress.

Fairlie- I hope so too.

Rise- Uh-Oh, I haven't mentioned my husband's plans for a DIY extension? (I'm in denial, if I don't think about it, it isn't happening.)

8 December 2007 at 09:51  
Blogger Sussanah said...

I covet that dress, If you start selling them let me know. Middle class completely useless wankers like me will be your market, so mark them up baby!

9 December 2007 at 10:34  
Blogger LBA said...

Good neighbours ARE hard to find ( our last one was a wife-basher ! )

Lucky you'll only be a neighbourly blog away :)

10 December 2007 at 13:26  
Blogger Lee said...

Lovely dress!

We have been in the same house for about 20 years. That's because I still haven't forgotten the pain of moving!

Oh...should I be getting a tree or something?

10 December 2007 at 22:08  
Blogger Sue xx said...

Love the dress when can I buy one??? :)

11 December 2007 at 14:07  
Blogger Suse said...

That's the best photo of your three and Climber.

I'm going to miss you and SG being neighbours!

16 December 2007 at 23:22  
Blogger Precious Pink Pumps said...

Love love love that dress. Are you taking orders?

22 January 2008 at 15:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home