Saturday 14 June 2008

A Little Bit of Nothing

Last year for our anniversary, my husband and I celebrated by going out for tea.

Our friend and his girlfriend baby sat for us.

As we pulled into the driveway, I noticed a cucumber lying in the foot well of the car. It had fallen out of the shopping bags earlier in the day. I was now faced with a dilemma, take the cucumber in, which might look pretty weird, or leave it in the car where I wouldn't be bothered to get it later and it would be rotten by the next day, as it was summer.

If I was to take the cucumber in, should I explain myself? Or would that just draw attention to it? I didn't want to be drawn into a potentially embarrassing conversation about why I might think it was unusual to be seen carrying in a cucumber on our wedding anniversary night. I could just imagine myself blushing bright red as I said, "It fell out of the shopping...."

So I decided to just take the cucumber in, which I did, and I tried to be inconspicuous and nonchalant about it, just casually placed it on the kitchen table like it was a normal thing to do. Did they see?

We would have been quite happy to sit and chat with our friends for a while before they went home, only shortly after the polite amount of conversation about whether or not the monkeys had given them any trouble, our friend said, "Well, we'd better go and let you get on with your celebrations...."

Was it my imagination or did he say that in a slightly pointed way? I badly wanted to explain the presence of the cucumber, and not that I care what other people do but it wasn't included in any further celebratory plans, only what if they hadn't noticed? What if that hadn't even occurred to them? So I let it go, and I still don't know.

I wonder what sort of night they had?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

No one could possibly think badly of you for carrying in a cucumber on your anniversary. A zucchini must be avoided at all costs, however. They bring to mind the airport scene in Spinal Tap.

14 June 2008 at 11:46  
Blogger Stomper Girl said...

Maybe they'd been fooling around with each other on your couch and they really meant THEY were going home to get on with THEIR celebrations.

You could have told them the restaurant was giving out free cucumbers.

Or that the restaurant rose-seller came by your table but that she'd run out of roses.

14 June 2008 at 14:06  
Blogger meggie said...

I will bet they went out to the car, & roared with laughter all the way home, imagining just what the cucumber was for...

14 June 2008 at 17:21  
Blogger Louise said...

Well that made me nearly spit my tea out - hilarious!! I absolutely LOVE that story.

14 June 2008 at 19:51  
Blogger zoesquid said...

Gosh, Im choking on my toast. What a great story to read on a sunday morning. (I think I would have left it in the car).
Libby

15 June 2008 at 09:29  
Blogger Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

That is so funny! And the moral of this story is always go out with a large carry-all sling-over-the-shoulder handbag, instead of a teeny-tiny clutch.

15 June 2008 at 19:02  
Blogger LBA said...

bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha !

I love that it is still bothering you, that you want to call them and explain ( you know you do ).

Love it.

15 June 2008 at 21:50  
Blogger Mary said...

Exactly the sort of dilemma that would exercise my brain!

That is hilarious. I agree with meggie!!

16 June 2008 at 07:06  
Blogger crafty said...

With the amount of crap I usually keep in my car, you'd have thought there would have been a suitably concealing recepticle...and I didn't even bother taking a clutch. Looking back I think perhaps the car must have just had a clean up.

H&B- Yes, and it is made worse by the fact that I wouldn't have to pick up the phone, just look over the fence... (They aren't together anymore, but the male half from this story is still our neighbour.)

Stomper- Why didn't I think of that? That would have worked for -sure- (The idea of someone walking around a restaurant selling cucumbers to couples.... )

16 June 2008 at 11:57  
Blogger Melinda said...

Come on, you're CRAFTY for pete's sake! Next time leave some knitting needles in the car and you could have whipped up a cucumber cover in no time!

I was a little red-faced just reading this. I would have dropped it on the lawn or something and gone back for it later.

17 June 2008 at 03:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm the 11th commenter and

not

one

of them

has yet

congratulated you

for entering your house and

being as

cool

as

a -


(freaking hilarious story - thank god it wasn't a banana)

17 June 2008 at 23:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, a cover for cucumber. Something to discuss to Thursday night? What happened to it anyway?

17 June 2008 at 23:58  
Blogger molly said...

This is my first time visiting. I've seen the name Crafty around my usual haunts. Figured it must be about crafts [I'm clever like that!] Was totally unprepared to fall out of my chair....The least you could do would be to post a warning for the unwary at the beginning!

3 July 2008 at 09:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

31 August 2008 at 04:48  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home